Monday 31 December 2012

Favourites of 2012

Over the past 12 months i have found alot of products which i love using, i think since I've started blogging, I've found alot of really great products that I'm sure will remain to be staples in my makeup bag in 2013.


FACE:

Base: The base I've been using throughout this year is The Body Shop's Mattyifying Day Cream. It's essentially a moisturiser, but it works great as a primer for your skin before foundation. I have oily to combination skin, and i find using this every morning in my makeup routine definitely keeps the oil at bay throughout the day. If i don't use this, i find my skin to be very oily by the end of the day and my face looks a bit of a mess.

Foundation: The foundation I've been using for pretty much the entire year, is Collection 2000 Colour Match foundation, which has the pink packaging (bonus). It has a medium coverage and is just good for an everyday foundation. It doesn't go patchy with my oily skin, it stays in place for quite a few hours and i haven't felt the need to go looking for another foundation as this is all i need. I find the packaging doesn't last so well, i have a new bottle which already has cracks on the lid.
Another favourite that i discovered in the last 3months or so is the Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation which you all should know has been a bloggers favourite this year, so many people have raved about it. I picked it up when it was on offer in Boots and as soon as i tried it, i knew why everyone had gone a bit mad for it. The coverage is medium and buildable, and it lives up to it's name, it makes you look radiant and awake. I have been mixing the two foundations together as an everyday foundation and together they make my skin look glowing and radiant, and i don't have to top it up during the day!

Concealer: I don't think this will come as a shock to any of you, as my favourite concealer of this year and in fact of the past few years is the Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection concealer. This is the first and only concealer I've used since i was about 13, so i can't really compare it to any other concealer, but it does the job. I would say it's pretty much full coverage or definitely buildable coverage as it covers just about everything. I use it on blemishes and spots and under my eyes, and it does really cover a multitude of sins. I would recommend this to anyone so if you haven't tried it, please do, it will transform your makeup!


Powder: As i mentioned, i have oily to combination skin, so powder is a must have. I use the Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection powder which is cheap as chips, and again, it does the job. It stops shine throughout the day although i do need to top it up. A really good powder for a really good price, what more could you ask for?

Blush: I'm not really a big blush kinda gal, although there are a couple that i like that i will reach for when i feel like a splash of colour on my cheeks. The first is MUA Mosaic Blush in English Rose. This blush is sooo pretty, both in the pan and on my cheeks, the different colours work well with each other to create a really pretty blush and almost a highlight colour to the cheeks. The second is a Collection 2000 blush called So Pretty. It has a gold shimmer too it which i used alot in the summer, as you can't really use bronzer with it as well otherwise it will look too overkill and a bit dirty.


Bronzer: The bronzer i have been using all year is the Bourjois Delice de Poudre bronzer, or the chocolate bronzer as it's more commonly known in the beauty world.  I got this for Christmas last year and its been my go to bronzer all year. This bronzer ISN'T matte, I'm a bit confused as to why people think this, there is quite an obvious shimmer in it, so reviews saying its matte is rubbish. Yes the shimmer isn't in your face and it's not obvious on your face, but it's there. And bonus, it smells of chocolate! What more could want for something that you put on your face to smell of chocolate ey.

EYES:

Eyeshadow: The eyeshadows i have been using alot is the Heaven and Earth palette from MUA. I've only started getting into eyeshadows this year, i also received this for Christmas last year and have been pretty much using it everyday as part of my makeup routine. The neutral colours are easy to work with on a day to day basis, i think they go well with my blue eyes and some of the colours really make them stand out which is a bonus. I'm sure you've seen loads of reviews about this product as it was hyped about a little while ago, and it's really worth the hype.

Mascara: I love the look of long, voluminous lashes, and i have teamed together two mascaras which help me to achieve long thick lashes. So the two i have been using are the Maybelline  Colossal Volume Cat Eyes mascara and the Rimmel Scandal Eyes mascara. The maybelline one is curved and therefore grabs all my lashes and makes them really long, and then i go over that with the Rimmel mascara which has a big brush to add tons of volume. They both are bristle brushes and last for ages. I love the look they both give to my lashes which lasts all day without needed top ups, and they don't smudge or flake, they're great!

Eyeliner: I use kohl liners on my water line and this year i discovered white eyeliner, which makes your eyes look wider and more awake. I generally wear this on school days and the one i use is from Natural Collection in Boots. I have also recently bought a new black kohl pencil as the one i used previously was so old. I picked up the new Rimmel Scandal eyes eyeliner in black, which i have really been enjoying using for the last couple of months of this year. It has great staying power, is super pigmented and doesn't stray down your eyes. I might do a full review on it as it's fairly new and i need to work with it more.



LIPS:

Balm: I get dry lips quite easily, so using lip balms is a must before applying any kind of lip product. The balms i have really been enjoying this year are the Body Shop's Born Lippy's. They really condition your lips, whatever state they are in. They have a slight tint and flavour, and are super cheap to. I have a variety of flavours, and i really couldn't live without them in my makeup bag, they're brilliant.

Lipstick: I have definitely started wearing lipstick alot more this year. I have a few that i have enjoyed using, including Natural Collection Pink Mallow, MUA shade 16, and later in the year i discovered the Rimmel Kate Moss lipsticks in the matte collection and have been loving using 107 and 113, which are deep red and a nude colour. These are also fairly new so you may be seeing a blog post on them soon. These are all very different shades as you will see, but these are the main four i have been reaching for this year.



SKINCARE:

Face wipes: For a few months this year, i just used makeup wipes to remove my makeup and would do nothing else to my skin. I'm glad to say this has changed, but the face wipes i have been using are just the tesco's own brand and they do the job.

Moisturiser: I have been using moisturiser alot more this year as I'm much better with my skin care, and the moisturisers i have been using are the Boots moisturiser from the cucumber range which i have blogged about in more detail if you would like to take a little look. I apply this at night and it makes my skin feel refreshed and soft, and sinks in almost instantly. I have also been using the Body Shop's Mattifying Day Cream which i have mentioned.

Cleanser: I'd never really heard of or understood cleansers before this year, although they do what they say they are, cleanse your face. Again, i have been using a cleanser from the Boots cucumber range, the cleansing lotion. I have been a bit lazy with my whole skincare routine as it requires applying all sorts of different lotions and potions in the evening when i take my makeup off, and some days i just didn't have the energy. Another cleanser i have been loving using is from the Body Shop's seaweed range, which is for oily to combination skin, so perfect for me. The one i use is a deep cleanser, so i don't tend to use it everyday, more like 2 or 3 times a week. This works really well for me, it removes the oils from your face which have built up throughout the day, and leaves it feeling fresh and oil-free, like you have normal skin. I really like using this cleanser, and I'm really impressed by the seaweed range at The Body Shop.

Toner: Again, I'd never really understood toner therefore i didn't feel i needed it, but i have tried using toner in my skincare routine this year, and i think i finally get it! I use the Boots facial toner by the Cucumber range, like the rest of my skincare. It removes any last bits of makeup and tones my pores and makes them look smaller.

Exfoliator: I feel like using an exfoliator does alot of good for my skin, it gets rid of excess oils and bacteria on my face that cause spots. The one i have really been loving this year is the Soap and Glory Scrub Your Nose In It facial scrub. It's a mask and a scrub in one, it has a mint scent and is a green colour, which might put some people off, it does look a bit weird when it's on your face! It gets rid of excess oils and claims to minimise your pores, which it does.  




HAIR:

Dry Shampoo: I have long, thick hair, so washing my hair is such a chore, so i try and put it off as much as i can. And that's where dry shampoo comes in. I honestly couldn't live without dry shampoo. It's a saviour in the mornings when my hair needs a pick-me-up. My favourite has to be Batiste, i think I've pretty much tried all the flavours in my time. Some people complain about it leaving grey marks, but it doesn't need to be sprayed closer than 20cm from the roots. And make sure you rub it in after to make sure there aren't any marks. I have also been enjoying the dry shampoo from Tresemme', which isn't as heavy as Batiste and is more refreshing, but it pretty much does the same job.

Hairspray: If i want to keep any sort of style to my hair without it dropping in the first 5 minutes, i need hairspray. I've tried out quiet a few, and to my delight, the best I've found is actually the cheapest. And they are, the Boots Essentials hairsprays. They come in many different holds, such as firm hold, extra firm hold and maximum hold. They keep the style all day, you can feel in it your hair, although it's not sticky and doesn't go crispy, and it does brush out quite easily. And this is on my hair! They are often on offer for 2 for £3, which is a bargain.

Shampoo and Conditioner: I'm not loyal to one particular shampoo and conditioner, because that can be bad for your hair as it gets used to them, meaning the shampoo and conditioner won't work as well as they should. For most of the year i had dyed red hair, meaning i had to use a colour protect shampoo. The ones i have enjoyed using are the Herbal Essences Ignite my colour shampoo and conditioner, and the L'oreal Elvive colour protect shampoo and conditioner. I don't notice much from colour protecting shampoos, but i know they don't make my hair fade faster than it should. Although red fades pretty fast anyway. For the remainder of the year when i didn't have red hair, i have been enjoying using the L'oreal Elvive nutri-gloss sparkling shampoo and conditioner. Being a brunette again i feel like i should have glossy, shiny hair. The matte look isn't good on brown hair, so I've been doing everything i can to make it glossy. These two in conjunction make my hair soft a glossy, exactly what it says on the tin (or bottle..).




BODY:

Shower and bath: I'm definitely more of a shower person, although i do have the occasional bath when I'm feeling tired and achy. My favourite shower gel has to be the Soap and Glory Foam Call body wash. I'm rubbish at explaining smells, Soap and Glory have explained it as 'FRUITIGO FRAGRANCE with notes of frozen yuzu, orange oil, green fig, and jungle pomelo essence.' Believable, but the scent is so refreshing, it's great to use in the morning and you can still get hints of smell throughout the day, which is good as it smells great. Plus, you get  a whooping 500ml for about £6, bargain.

Body Scrub: I bought a body scrub to prepare my skin for fake tan, i have never fake tanned before and i just never got round to it this year. Hopefully i can try next year, and if i do, I'll be sure to blog about it. Anyway, that's the reason i bought this next product. The Soap and Glory Sugar Crush body scrub. I'm sure you've heard of this before, it's very well known for it's amazing smell. 'With smashed brown sugar and sweet lime, almond oil and macadama grains'. I think it almost smells like Skittles. This is a great scrub, it exfoliates the skin well, even areas such as your elbows and knees, and leaves your skin looking and feeling amazing. I try to ration this, and when it runs out, there won't be any other scrub I'm going to pick up other than this one.

Moisturiser: After the shower my skin can feel a bit dehydrated, so i always like to moisturise after a shower or a bath. I have been using a few, but my favourite has the be The Body Shop's coconut body butter. I got this free with a voucher, which I'm glad as they're very pricey. But they are totally worth the price tag. It has a real buttery consistency and is rich, it sinks into the skin quickly and makes your skin feel hydrated and looking and smelling amazing. You can get them in a smaller tub for cheaper but the bigger tubs are better value, and they last a long time. I've had mine since around May time and i still have about half left!

So if you've managed to read all of this post, firstly well done! This took over a week to write as i wanted to give every product the best review i could. I know this is alot, but i just chose different categories and ended up with alot to write about! If you've had any favourites throughout 2012 then I'll be interested to know, or if you have done a similar post, link it below and I'll go have a sneaky peek!

I hope everyone has a great night tonight as it's new years eve!
I'll see you all in 2013! (how weird is that?!)

Laura x

1 comment:

  1. I love the Rimmel foundation and MUA blush they are so good, great post x

    ReplyDelete